Saturday, April 9, 2011

DIY - Deep Clean Make-up Brushes

With daily use, make-up brushes can get very dirty and the brush itself can be home to bacteria build up that you are re-applying to your face with every use. Brushes should be cleaned every day  - but with time not always on my side, I shamefully admit it has been sometime since I last deep cleaned by make-up brushes.

So with that being said, I thought it was about time that I gave my brushes a deep clean.

 What you will need to deep clean your brushes:
  • Make-up brush shampoo or as a cheaper alternative: baby shampoo or dish washing liquid with anti bacterial ingredients.
  • Olive Oil - to condition the brush hairs preventing them to dry out
  • Plate or palette to mix your brush cleansing solution
  • Paper towel 
  • Cup or mug
  • Dirty make-up brushes

Method:
  1. On your plate or palette pour a small amount of both brush shampoo and olive oil.
  2. Take each brush and swirl in shampoo and oil solution and swirl on the palm of your hand until all product residue is removed from the brush and lay on paper towel.
  3. Once all your brushes are cleaned and conditioned rinse each brush under cool or warm (not hot) running water. Make sure you hold your brush with the bristles facing down so water does not run into the ferrule as this may cause the glue to spoil and the handles to swell.
  4. Pat brushes dry with paper towel and allow to dry (bristles facing down) in a cup or mug.


To keep bristles in shape while drying, and just to protect your brushes when not in use, I use The Brush Guard. The Brush Guard is a stretchable breathable tube that protects your make up brushes and is great for drying as it keeps brushes upright to avoid moisture seeping into the ferrule.



This technique I used for cleaning my brushes is based on that of YouTube Beauty Guru, Michelle Phan, click here to watch her video.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! My foundation brush is getting a bit crusty, should give this a try ... haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so need to do mine too. Interesting about the oil I must try that. Is that for natural bristles, synthetic or both! My foundation brush is particularly bad ATM! I use a drop of tea tree too to disinfect. Am always paranoid about spreading spot germs!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. @me,my best and I, I have both synthetic and natural brushes and a bit of oil to my brush shampoo is a great conditioner for both bristles. I like your idea of tea tree as a disinfectant, I love finding new home remedies, brush cleanser can be quite expensive to buy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had been trying to find out how to clean brushes properly..this helped a lot.
    http://flysongbird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you posted this! I know I'm a bit late but I've been looking for a DIY post for awhile. Thanks!

    <3 Sidd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for sharing this informative post on make up brushes.
    I love to use Cosmetics

    ReplyDelete