Thursday, June 23, 2011

Order to Apply Skin Care Products


Toner and moisturisers and serums OH MY! Ever feel overwhelmed with all the skin care products you own and when to apply them?

Well, this was me up until recently when I was given a few Chanel skin care samples to try. I couldn’t remember if the lady at the counter said to apply serums before or after moisturising and if this was done before or after eye creams?   

So I hit the net searching for (if there was any) a correct order to apply skin care products.

Here’s what I found…

Dermatologist Dr Schultz from DermTV provides a general rule of thumb when applying skin care products: Lighter skin care products such as gels and lotions or water based products are generally applied first and the heavier ones such as creams are applied second and the heaviest ones such as ointments are applied last. The science behind this rule is that as the heavier products are applied last they have the ability to be able to soak down though the lighter products penetrating into your skin and allowing your skin to receive the benefits of all the products and their active ingredients.

Having done my research this is my tweaked prep and prime skin care routine….

  1. Remove traces of make-up by using your favourite make up remover, my faves are Clinique Take the Day off Makeup Remover and the Yes to Carrots Eye and Makeup Remover.
  2. Clean your face with your favourite facial cleanser, I prefer the wash off kind – I currently love the Clinique Mild Liquid Facial Soap.
  3. Smooth a toner over your skin; again I use the Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2.
  4. Then apply an eye cream, I’m alternating between Clinique‘s All About Eyes Serum Roll on and Channel’s Beaute Initiale Eye which are both gel like consistency.
  5. Next on goes a serum (optional), I have a sample of Chanel’s Hydra Beauty Serum which feels very light, is ultra moisturising and smells amazing. I apply this to my face avoiding my under eye area where I applied the eye cream.
  6. After waiting a few minutes for the products to soak in, apply moisturiser…guess what I use? Yup! Clinique’s Dramatically Different Moisturising Lotion.
  7. Finally goes on any extra (heavier) products you may be using such as pore minimising creams, make up primers or Illuminators.
How do you apply your skin care? What order works for you?

7 comments:

  1. Nice post! Glad to know I have been doing it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The information's which you gave are up to a class mark, I have started to follow them at once.Yonka loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great post thanks!

    beautybarista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading, I hope it was helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post :) and great info!
    <3 Sidd

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is great source of information which is useful for me. Thanks for the post..:)
    Skin Care Products

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away free.I love seeing website that understands the value of providing a quality resource for free.
    Regards
    Skin Care Products

    ReplyDelete