Sunday, June 19, 2011

Battle of the Eye Primers – Urban Decay vs. E.L.F

To the left we have E.L.F Mineral Eyeshadow Primer and on the right is Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin.



E.L.F is a sheer ivory colour and is quite thin in consistency however it is creamy to apply and feels almost silky as you work it over your eye lid and dries to a matte power finish.

Urban Decay is quite thicker in consistency (similar to a cream eyeshadow or blush), and applies as a gorgeous shimmery pink colour (just a touch pinker than MAC’s Naked Lunch). It dries and stays put whilst still holding its beautiful shimmer.

L-R: Urban Decay and E.L.F


So to put these primers to the test I applied a base to each eye before my eyeshadow and will
re-assess at the end of the day and see which primer does my shadow justice.

Before…

Urban Decay Primer Potion
E.L.F Mineral Eyeshadow Primer
The above pictures are taken just after I applied my eyeshadow for the day, both with the same shadows and same amount of colour. As you can see on the Urban Decay primed eye, because of the shimmer in the primer itself, eyeshadow colours appear so much brighter than the E.L.F primed eye.

So my day begun… a day full of clothes washing, watching my nephew play pre-school soccer (or stacks on the soccer ball), went for lunch and a long walk/jog…

Nine hours later…..


E.L.F Mineral Eyeshadow Primer

Urban Decay Primer Potion

The verdict: As you can see there is not much difference as the eye shadows stayed put on both eyes throughout the day with no creasing however the eye with the Urban Decay Primer Potion still maintained its more vibrant colours.  


If I had to choose between to two, I would probably sway towards the Urban Decay Primer Potion even though E.L.F put up a good fight. I really love the pink shimmery colour of Urban Decay and would be satisfied in using this as a base colour on its own, I also love that it really brings out the colours of the eyeshadows and keeps that vibrancy all day (even after exercise).

E.L.F Mineral Eyeshadow Primer retails for $11.95(AUD) from Crush Cosmetics or $3.00(USD) from Eyes, Lips, Face and the full size Urban Decay Primer Potion in Sin retails for $19.00(USD) from Urban Decay.

8 comments:

  1. so interesting the UD lifts the colour, great post and cool to see how it all performed in pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post on this. I have no budget for UDP though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! I also love the Urban Decay Primer Potion in sin, it is the prettiest! Although you should also try the original primer potion in the purple bottle that compares better to the e.l.f primer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a such a helpful post! I was thinking about getting the ELF primer but I think I'll just make the investment and get the UDPP :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never used the ELF primer but I am in love with the UD primer in Sin! I've tried all of the UD primers and I only like Sin, otherwise I would choose Too Faced Shadow Insurance over it! Weird right?

    http://laurenl0vesl0ve.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post :) ive always wanted to try the elf primer but i didnt think it would be very good ! im going to get one now x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow great comparison! I am shocked Elf can hold up that well! I've never tried Elf..I don't know if it really is available in Canada other then online but it sounds really worth the little money it is. I LOVE urban decay primer potion in eden!

    ReplyDelete