Monday, March 28, 2011

Thinspiration.... My Healthy Journey


If you’re anything like me, I have felt like I have been dieting FOREVER and every year, get fit or loose weight is always top of my resolutions list. This year is no different, however…I am now determined to loose my relationship weight – you know.. the extra kilos that slowly creep up when you get comfortable in a relationship.

So to kick start my healthy journey for 2011 I have been adopting the below tips (most of the time):

  • Get moving – my goal is to exercise at least 30 minutes five times per week, although this is not always achievable, the key is to do something you enjoy. I have recently started boxercise classes with my cousin and I have been loving my increased fitness levels and the motivation of having someone to exercise with.
  • Drink more water – We are all aware of the benefits of water… great for the skin, reduces hunger ect. Flavoured drinks have heaps of hidden calories and I have been really trying to only drink water were necessary.
  • Cut down on extra sugar – While sugar has no fat, it can magically turn to fat unless burnt off as energy. This year I have cut down my sugar intake by only having one teaspoon in my morning instant coffee and NO sugar in my mid morning espresso coffee (I have even swapped my choice of coffee from a skim cappuccino to a skim latte).
  • Limit my alcohol intake – As a social drinker, I can sometimes go a few weeks without alcohol, however, when drinking socially it’s almost always over the recommended two standard drinks (unless I’m driving of course). After being told by one of my boxercise trainers that one bourbon and coke is equivalent to 500 push ups, I had to quickly rethink my social drink of choice. I have been experimenting with Vodka, soda and lime and also enjoy a glass of Yellowglen Jewel – low calorie sparkling wine, however, along with most other pleasures in life alcohol is good in moderation.
  • Measure not weigh – I have always been obsessed with my weight on the scales and this year I have decided to make note of my measurements and track my progress that way, rather then worrying about what’s on the scales each week.  I think it’s more encouraging to think of all the centimetres lost rather than the actual kilograms.
  • Choose wisely – I have been (trying at least) making better choices when it comes to the food I eat. Some of these better choices include a reduction on carbs – I try to only have one slice of bread or toast if any and opt for wraps instead of sandwiches. I have also been loving sushi (which contradicts my carb reduction rule) poached eggs for breakfast, smoked salmon and deli style yoghurt (I love the brand Evia).

Comment below to share some of your own healthy tips….


No comments:

Post a Comment